Saturday, December 20, 2008

My Latest Favorite Thing....

I am really into listening to music - lots of different kinds. If I had my way, there would be music on all the time in my house, but it seems to interfere with everyone's TV watching. Anyway, because of this, there have been definite trends in my life. In the late 80s and throughout the 90s, I built up a significant CD collection. In fact, I was the first person I knew with a CD player, back when my brother told me they would never last. My fist CD was Paul Young. I can still remember sitting on the bunkbed in my sorority house listening to that with headphones on. It totally and completely blew me away.

I've already written about my iPod Touch and how much I love it. I came very late to the iPod generation, but have completely embraced it. However, I came very early to satellite radio. T bought me my first XM for Christmas 2002. I have rarely listened to commercial radio since. In fact, I can't even remember the regular radio stations in town - which is pretty bad because I grew up here. My kids think all cars come equipped with their favorite station, 20 on 20.

Well, XM was getting a little tired at times. It was kind of like cable - 200 stations, but nothing I wanted to hear. And, then, my friends, came the merge with Sirius. My new favorite station is XM44, also known as First Wave. I can listen for hours and maybe hear one or two songs I don't love. It is like going back to my favorite time on a musical ride. The Smiths, ABC, Elvis Costello, Big Audio Dynamite - they play it all. I crank the volume, open the sunroof and sing along - loudly. Each song brings back vivid memories, like listening to The Smiths in a hotel room in Amsterdam. "Take me out tonight. Take me anywhere. I don't care. I don't care. I don't care." Or The Psychedelic Furs serenading me after my first love broke my heart so savagely it took years to get over it. "Stars come down in you and love...you can't give it away." Squeeze - the soudtrack to my first years in college. "You've left my ring by the soap, Now is that love? You cleaned me out you could say broke, Now is that love?"

And, THEN, I find out that my all time favorite band from this era is coming in concert to New Orleans at the House of Blues - next month!!!! I don't care what it takes, I will be there.


I still love the English Beat.

So sad that these are now "oldies" to everyone else! Just like me, I guess!

No comments:

Post a Comment